Meeting Start Date: January 25, 2018
Meeting End Date: January 26, 2018
Meeting Location: Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center, 1300 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, in the Horizon Ballroom
Meeting Agenda: MACPAC-January-2018-Meeting-Agenda-1 (pdf)
The January 2108 Commission meeting opened with a debriefing on themes gathered from a November 2017 expert roundtable that explored the barriers to integrating physical health and SUD treatment created by 42 CFR Part 2 confidentiality regulations. It was followed by a look at residential SUD treatment and the Medicaid IMD exclusion, with perspectives from Yngvild Olsen at the Institute for Behavior Resources, Inc., Enrique Olivares at Beacon Health Options, and Matthew Keats at the Virginia Department of Medical Assistance.
The Commission heard from a second panel on Thursday afternoon, this one presenting beneficiary, plan, and provider perspectives on managed long-term services and supports. Panelists included Dennis Heaphy with the Disability Policy Consortium, Michelle Bentzien-Purrington from Molina Healthcare, Inc., and David Totaro of BAYADA Home Health Care. Later, the Commission discussed policy issues and questions that will guide a broad examination of Medicaid hospital payment policies moving forward.
Executive Director Anne Schwartz kicked off the Friday morning sessions with a brief update on current MACPAC activities and future work. The Commission then resumed its discussion of streamlining Medicaid managed care authorities that will be part of its March report to Congress, and voted on a draft recommendation to give states the option of using the state plan rather than waiver authority to require Medicaid beneficiaries to enroll in managed care. A briefing on the US Department of Health and Human Services report to Congress and the President on the Money Follows the Person demonstration followed the vote, and a session on integrating the Medicare and Medicaid appeals processes so they are less burdensome and confusing for dually eligible beneficiaries wrapped up the second day.
- 42 CFR Part 2 Regulations and Implications for Substance Use Disorder Treatment and Integration with Other Medical Care in Medicaid: Themes from an Expert Roundtable
- Examining Residential Substance Use Disorder Treatment and the IMD Exclusion
- Stakeholder Experiences with Managed Long-Term Services and Supports
- Medicaid Hospital Payment: Policy Issues and Commission Analytic Plan
- Review of March Report Chapter and Vote on Recommendation: Medicaid Managed Care Authorities
- Review of HHS Report to the President and Congress on Money Follows the Person Demonstration
- Integrating Appeals Processes for Dually Eligible Beneficiaries